Brad's Bookmarks
Saturday, March 13, 2004
 
Readings - Essays & Literary Entertainments (Michael Dirda) 2000
Readings is a collection of columns by Washington Post Book World Editor Michael Dirda. His columns cover a broad range of genres. Dirda, who has a PhD. in Comparative Literature, has essays that discuss the classics, horror, mysteries, science fiction, and more. I recommend checking out his columns. The link to Dirda’s columns is shown above (it's free to access it, but a sign-up is required). He also does a weekly on-line book discussion at the Washington Post website that I enjoy.

Some of my favorite columns in the book are Comedy Tonight where Dirda lists his 100 favorite comic novels accompanied by a short comment on each selection. I also enjoyed the Weekend with Wodehouse column covering his attendance at a Wodehouse convention. This is a great resource when trying to decide what book to read next. Rating: A.

Another book on books that I read a while back was For the Love of Books edited by Ronald Schwartz. The book is another good source of reading ideas. It's a collection of several authors' musings on books that made the greatest impact in their life. It's interesting to see which books get multiple recommendations.


<< Home

Powered by Blogger